[Dixielandjazz] Who invented jazz?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 14:52:42 PST 2005

Hi Listmates,

Great thread here (who invented jazz) and Charles Suhor just posted a rather
provacative memo:

>. . . without these African contributions, jazz wouldn't have sounded like
>jazz: RHYTHMIC COMPLEXITY (unparalleled in Western music),

Rhythmic complexity unparalleled in western music?? I don't know . . .

Jazz rhythms have always seemed pretty straightforward to me. Duple meter -
easy to dance to . . .

But for western music with REALLY complex rhythmic elements don't overlook
the Greeks, who can even dance to 5/4 time signatures as well as other odd
elements (7 beats to the measure, etc.). And western classical music offers
great rhythmic complexities (Stravinsky, a Roosian for example) and
contemporary serious composers galore are busy fooling around with just this
element of music and most of them are not of African extraction.

>IMPROVISATION (mainly defunct in classical performance after Bach,
>Beethoven),

Classical music (from about 1800 to 1900) somewhat rigidified and tended to
suppress improvisation, although the cadenzas in quite a few concertos were
designed to give a somewhat free rein to the performer. However, the music
of the 19th century (the Romantic through the latest Modernist schools have
gotten back to this aspect of music (improvisation) -- somethimes, in my
judgment, not always "good" music, nevertheless, they seem to be sincere as
they work at it. But the point is, you can't attribute "improvisation" to
the African influence on contemporary music.

>BLUE TONALITY (5-note scale),

Is the 5 tone scale (an oriental construction as I understand it) really the
basis of "blue" tonality? I would have thought it was the flatting of some
of the notes in a regular tonic scale -- notably the third and the seventh
among others. I'd like to see some examples of a five tone scale which is
attributable to an African influence.

>VOICE-BASED INSTRUMENTAL TONE (bent notes, smears, growls, rips, etc.,
>dating to early African-American expression  . . .

I think Charlie Suhor has something here to demonstrate an authentic African
contribution to jazz. By the way, the Australian aborigines, in their
playing of the digeridoo, also express these very same vocalizations. They
(Africans and Aborigines) are what cultured westerners may refer to as
"primitive" but there is no question that these influences are important to
jazz.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Don't forget the French - Ravel, etc.) Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com