[Dixielandjazz] My Bob Finch story in response to Don Ingle

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Thu Feb 3 15:45:14 PST 2005

The Chicago 6 will be our feature band here in Palm Springs CA at the
Dixieland Jazz Society of the Desert on Feb. 20th.  I'll ask Bob  about Bill
Reinhardt at that time if I can remember to do so.  If any one wants meeting
info I suggest our website at www.desertjazz.org or drop me an email.

********************
Bob Finch and I had an informal routine years ago where, at large jazz
festivals, Bob would call me out of the audience and ask me to join the band
in the middle of a set.  He would then shove his bass into my hands and I
would tune it.  Bob would then grab the bass out of my hands, say "thanks"
and then send me back into the audience.  This usually got a pretty big
laugh.

A couple of years ago, Bob called me out of a large audience, showed me his
electronic bass tuning device, announced to the audience that I'd been
replaced by $15.00 in cheap electronics, and sent me back to my seat.

I laughed so hard that I almost cried.  I still get kidded by those in the
know that my value as a musician is now somewhere below $15.00
Dick
P.S.

Bob, if you see this note, please boost my ego and bring a $25.00 electronic
tuner to your gig on the 20th.  :-)  Dick