[Dixielandjazz] Can you listen to music and chew gum at the sametime?

George Thurmond gmthur at delrio.com
Wed Feb 2 14:05:06 PST 2005

        Regarding being able to do something requiring consentration while
listening to music, I think there is a definite difference between those who
"like" music, and they who create music.  I've had cataracts removed by an
opthomology team with Willie Nelson and Hank Williams singing and picking in
the operating room background sound system.  And I've had Mozart and
probably that first jazzman, JSBach, doing their respective things during
vascular catherization procedures.  I figure the docs "liked" music, but
could pay less attention to it while they worked on these extremely
difficult tasks.  But I can't see a M.D. who moonlights as a jazz drummer
doing brain surgery under those conditions.  Understand what I'm trying to
say?

Geo. Thurmond