[Dixielandjazz] Can you listen to music and chew gum at the sametime? NO

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Wed Feb 2 13:19:54 PST 2005

Try sleeping after playing Jazz.  It takes me hours to unwind.  You are dead
on Bill.  People ask me why I don't listen to music.  I do, but I really
can't do other things too.  Either I'm listening or not.  There isn't a
halfway.  I'm absolutely no good in an elevator.  It drives me nuts if I
can't hear the music and there is other noise like people talking and it's a
major distraction in movies and on TV too.  The History channel has taken to
putting music in some of their things and that's just plain WRONG!

When I was a kid my brother would take me to the Muny (forest Park in St.
Louis).  There are several rows of free seats and the people would sit and
talk through the performance.  I could never figure that out either.  Talk
about a moth drawn to the flame.  We loved the musicals but hated the
talking.

I had occasion to buy a mike cord and went into a local guitar shop.  I told
the guy there that working in a guitar shop was my idea of hell.  With the
would be drummers and really bad guitar players trying out all the new
gadgets recently invented to make a guitar sound worse I was hearing every
note or sort of note of it.  He said that after a while he just tuned it
out.  How does anyone do that? But they do I guess.  My mother always had to
have sound going and I never understood that.  How can someone just turn on
a radio just to have something making sound?

These are in short the curse of being a musician.  I wonder if brick layers
go around looking at bricks to see if they are level or not all day.  Ah,
another mystery of life.