[Dixielandjazz] Can you listen to music and chew gum at the same time?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 2 05:38:55 PST 2005

Hello friends,

Listmate Jim Kashishian writes:

>Next time you are having trouble dropping off to sleep try putting on a
>jazz
>CD.
>Researchers have shown just 45 minutes of relaxing music before bedtime can
>make for a restful night.
>Actually, I can't listen to jazz, period, when doing something else...even
>driving.  I really listen when I listen, and lose track of what I'm doing.
>That may be due to the fact I'm a musician, and find myself within the
>group, so to say. I certainly couldn't describe listening to jazz as being
>relaxing for me.

This is interesting to me because I have essentially the same problem. I
can, however, drive while listening to music but that's probably because
driving is a motion - sort of like dancing with wheels. I mean I wouldn't
say that I can't dance while listening to music . . . but that's beside the
point.

My problem is that as long as I can remember, whenever music is playing
someplace my attention is immediately captivated. I can't carry on
intelligent conversations with others because my attention is too strongly
diverted away from conversation.

On the other hand it's possible I can't carry on intelligent conversations
anyway but perhaps that's also common among musicians.

I could never do homework and listen to the radio at the same time when I
was in school . . . result - I rarely got my homework done.

In talking about this phenomenon with some of my musician friends, it turns
out they have the same problem too. I'm beginning to think that some people
often become musicians because they basically can't do anything else when
music rears its ugly (read beautiful) head.

How many of you have trouble concentrating when the music starts?  I bet
it's a pretty common thing amongst DJMLers.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com