[Dixielandjazz] A whole new paradigm in singing!!

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sat Dec 10 10:40:07 PST 2005

Not really.  What I'm saying is that these songs have, over the years,
become solely associated with Christmas when, in fact, they actually have
nothing to do with Christmas at all.  In my neck of the woods, you could
ride a sleigh well into March most years, or even stroll through the snow,
or use the cold as an excuse to keep your girl in the house so you can make
out a little longer.

These songs aren't strictly Christmas (or holiday) songs, but that's the
only time of year when we haul them out to play on the radio.  Let's examine
them briefly:

1) Let It Snow x 3:  The young couple are using the snow as an excuse to
stay by the fire and presumably neck.

2) Baby It's Cold Outside:  The guy is trying to convince the gal to stay in
presumably to neck.  Perhaps #1 is a sequel to #2.

3) Sleigh Ride:  Originally written by Leroy Anderson for the Boston Pops,
the only reference to anything resembling a holiday when lyrics were finally
added was "a birthday party at the home of Farmer Gray."

4) Jingle Bells:  Doesn't even have so much as a birthday party.

5) Winter Wonderland:  This time the couple (could it be the same couple as
in songs 1 and 2, and have they spent the night together, perhaps making it
more of a wonderland than it would have been otherwise) are out strolling
through the snow speaking of marriage and playing building snowmen.

So why do these songs considered Christmas or holiday songs?

Hal Vickery