[Dixielandjazz] A whole new paradigm in singing!!

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 10 09:47:04 PST 2005

Hi Hal and all,

You wrote:

>. . . I have no idea what Let It Snow x 3, Baby
>It's Cold Outside, Sleigh Ride, Winter Wonderland, or even Jingle Bells
>have
>to do with Christmas, or any other holiday for that matter.

You don't?  To me that seems a bit odd since the associations with Christmas
have, over the centuries, expanded from a purely Christian Religious
observance into a seasonal festival of joy.  By "joy" I mean the warm
feelings which come from thoughts of "peace," "love," "brotherhood of man,"
"giving and receiving" and (in the northern hemisphere) other more
non-religious things we associate with the season . . . snow, winter,
evergreen trees, sleighs, annual sending of cards to people to let them know
they're still in our hearts . . . etc. etc. etc.

But then you knew all that, didn't you?

At the risk of misunderstanding (which I often do), are you saying that
observing secular things at Christmastime, such as songs about sleigh rides
and snow and jingling bells, ought not to be considered and that those who
believe should confine ourselves simply to prayer and meditation and the
singing of songs of a purely religious nature about the birth of Jesus?

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Bah! Humbug!" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

ps - If the songs you mentioned were deleted from our Christmas experience I
would truly miss them! Sort of like it really wouldn't be Christmas without
them.

-bg