[Dixielandjazz] Rap?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Dec 7 09:37:49 PST 2005

I'm not sure if you aren't mixing things upo a bit.  Gregorian Chant isn't
the same thing.  There is rather lovely melodies that are associated with
Gregorian. and very light on the rhythm.  I would find it very hard to
equate Gregorian with today's Rap other than they both use words.  Gregorian
doesn't even particularly rhyme.  I would even disagree that it is the same
or related to early black music and work songs but rather to the Beatnick
and 50's use of bongos and other rhythm instruments to read poetry by and
this may even be a stretch too.

The thing that you have right is that there has been a steady degrading of
musical form starting in the about 1700's which for a hundred years or so
probabaly represent the high point of musical composition and skill.  That
doesn't mean that there aren't those same high points today but overall it
was a high point in musical history.  As other media became prominent we
have had a steady deterioration that has accellerated much in the same way
that information and technology has made quantum leaps and may be related.
At the same time the methods of teaching have become more glitzy and fadish
coupled with the reluctance of the public schools to educate students
musically.

In the last 100 years we have gone from definate form to no form.
Instrumental sounds to sounds of rhythm only.  Complicated chordal structure
to three chords to one chord, to no chords at all. Actual words that you
could understand to lyrics that you can't repeat in polite company that is
if you can understand them without being bilingual in Eubonics.  I'm sure
that everyone can come up with more examples of this slide.

I have a problem calling Rap music because it has almost none of the
requirements of any sort of defination of music that I know.  How  they
justify calling them Rap "singers" or calling Rap "music" or people who
perform it "musicians" is simply beyond me.

The real question is what is next?  How far can the deterioration go?  Will
everyone retreat into C&W which is the only form that seems to be reasonably
stable at present?  Will the 5-10% of people who like jazz decline in
numbers further?

It seems that the whole society in many ways is deteriorating to the lowest
common denominator and those who have standards of conduct are becoming
fewer.  Music is only the symptom.
Larry Walton
St. Louis