[Dixielandjazz] acetate or Cardboard

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 4 13:45:13 PST 2005

Hi all,

Ringwald raised an interesting (well, to me anyway) subject about those
flimsy, cardboard like recordings back in the 50s.

I just recalled that about that time (perhaps in the late 40s (around the
end of WWII) you could go into those so called "penny arcades" (remember
them) and they would have a booth where you could record your voice on a
flimsy and flexible disk that you could mail home to your girlfriend or
parents (I remember sending one home when I was in the Navy back about 1946
or 47 - I think).  What were those things made of? I can't remember but they
were sure cheep!

When my father died I was going through some of his collected stuff and
there was that old flimsy record I had cut so many years before. It was
unplayable but it was evident that it had been played a lot. It was sort of
touching.

I guess we thought that was pretty high tech stuff back then.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com