[Dixielandjazz] acetate or Cardboard

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Dec 4 14:35:40 PST 2005

Hi Bill & All

  Yes those flimsy tear out recordings were called acetates,   they used
to be manufactured by a company called "EvaTone" who called them
"Soundsheets" used mostly for promotion and advertising purposes, but
those are not what Bob is seeking the answer about.

  I have some old 50s era recordings such as he described, that are
actual phonograph records, made by coating I assume vinyl or acetate
over a cardboard inner. I found out the hard way once when I at on one
and broke it, it did not shatter as one would expect, but just broke
the coated surface like cracks in a mirror which made it un playable.

  We also used to joke about major labels selling records pressed on old
pizza boxes, which was referring to this process even in the 70s they
were issuing stuff like that.

  I did direct to disc records in which we cut the music into a master
disc, then electroplated it to make Mothers from which we pressed the
final product for ultimate quality. IN the normal manufacturing process
they went from the Master to the Mother to Stampers which gave them
unlimited production capability but at far less audio quality the more
they manufactured from each stamper. with the high end audiophile
records we made, we were limited to about 50,000 high quality pressings
form each Master. This was not however the case with each Master, some
we only got 30,000 or so out of before a noticeable depreciation in
sound quality was noticeable. 50,000 pressing was a great
accomplishment when it turned out that way. Many industry folks were
skeptical about our claims of having sold 150,000 units of our records,
because the industry standard at the time was about 50,000 copies if
everything was perfect. Some actually called us liars for a year until
they discovered the fact that we had made three identical masters of
the our original recordings by hooking up three Neuman cutting systems
on the same recording thus tripling our output capacity on all records
that we recorded.

 Cheers,

  Tom Wiggins who has forgotten much of the technical jargon now that we
all use Digital in spite of our aloof efforts to make a better record
for the consumer. :)) Well we got to do it for a few years anyway.