Spike Jones naughty [was: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Bing Crosby Out Take]

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Sun Dec 4 07:45:58 PST 2005

At 08:20 PM 12/04/05 +1100, Bill Haesler wrote:
>With regard to Spike Jones' "By The Beautiful Sea" (13 Nov 1947), ...
>However, the normally staid English had no problems with it and in March
>1949 issued "By The Beautiful Sea" in the HMV catalogue, where it remained
>for years.
>I too know the risqué line. If you want to hear it the side is/was on an
>English Avid CD (AMSC 630).

Hi Bill. Haven't heard that track, since I don't have room in my Augean
oriface for my "fun" CDs, but I as I recall that the Avid is "stereoized"
using their version of Dick Broady's system. Any comments on the
stereoization?

Avid has a goodly number of OKOM albums, including a 3-CD Teagarden set, 2
CD sets of Morton, Bechet, Spanier. The first 2 of the 4-CD Glenn Miller
set have his earlier band, which is in the vein of the Dorsey Brothers and
early Shaw sound, which includes tasty jazz touches...

These are excellant compilations, at good prices, and the stereoization IMO
doesn't get in the way. (I haven't made up my mind as to whether and to
what extent it adds, but as I recall it does a good job with the Spanier
big band.)

--Sheikster