[Dixielandjazz] Los Lobos, LPs Warm Sound

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed Aug 31 14:19:21 PDT 2005

Tom Wiggins writes:

(snip)
I imagine what you heard was a reproduction of a Cd recording off of a
bad vinyl recording if you heard ticks and pops, and a needle hitting
the track, because you don't get that with lazer technology, so the
person who mastered it probably just made a bad copy of a bad record
onto a CD and then reproduced them to sell them as CDs.
(snip)

 Tom,

No, it was done on purpose.  My daughter told me that some bands are putting
these sounds on their digital recordings on purpose to make them sound like
LPs on turntables.  It is the "new thing..."

That is why I was shaking my head.

--Bob Ringwald
Placerville, CA USA