[Dixielandjazz] Only 8 notes.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 30 12:21:45 PDT 2005

Saw this quote today in a syndicated columnist's piece about "running out of
things, e.g. oil.

"When John Stuart Mill was a young man, he worried that we were running out
of music, since there were only 8 notes and therefore there was only a
finite amount of music possible. At that point Brahms and Tchaikowsky  had
not yet been born nor jazz created."

- Thomas Sowell, Creator's Syndicate.

Nowadays, we seem to have a lot more than 8 notes. :-) VBG.

Has anybody ever  figured out all the permutations possible with the notes,
sharps/flats and time signatures? To say nothing of quarter tones etc., and
various methods of attack.

Cheers,
Steve