[Dixielandjazz] N.O

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 30 12:59:50 PDT 2005

On Tuesday, August 30, 2005, at 02:13 PM, Craig I. Johnson wrote:

> Based on what I am listening to on TV right now. New Orleans will
> not be operational
> for months. The French Quarter after first escaping much of what hit
> the rest of the city
> is now flooding due to levee breaks.
>
> . They are intending to EVACUATE THE CITY.
>    They are all in deep "stuff"
> I would not count on anything being open Sept 10 by any means, but
> keep listening.
> Craig Johnson

Well, I don't know, Craig...

Here's a crowd that seldom allows anything to rain on its parade, and
I have visions of happy gay guys splashing along Bourbon Street in
(ooh!) wet pants!

By RYAN LEE
Aug. 19, 2005

FOR A LABOR DAY WEEKEND LOADED with glam, gangsters and girth, New
Orleans’ French Quarter is the place to be.

The 34th annual Southern Decadence festival, which evolved over the
years from a party for a few friends to a six-day street party
attended by more than 100,000 people, runs this year from Aug. 31 to
Sept. 5.

Unofficially dubbed the “gay Mardi Gras,” Southern Decadence is
filled with dozens of parties and thousands of uninhibited gay men
frolicking in the street in search of beads and brethren. The event
culminates with a Sept. 4 parade featuring elaborate and risqué
costumes inspired by this year’s 1920s theme, “Jazz & Jezebels.”

Also filling the French Quarter that weekend are hundreds of
plus-sized gay men and their admirers for Convergence 2005, an annual
event convened by the Affiliated Big Men’s Club, a national coalition
of big men’s organizations.

Various organizations bid for the right to host Convergence each
year, and the Big Men’s Club of Atlanta submitted the winning bid to
host Convergence 2005, “Big & Easy,” in New Orleans alongside
Southern Decadence.

“I thought with Southern Decadence being sort of like the gay Mardi
Gras, it would be the perfect place for us to have a party and for a
lot of the guys who usually go to Convergence to get a chance to do
both,” says Jeffrey Nance, president of the Big Men’s Club of Atlanta.

“A lot of people are looking forward to the different crowds, and the
parade and all of the parties,” Nance says. “It’s all a celebration
of the end of summer — one last hurrah.”

More than 600 people pre-registered for Convergence 2005, including
about 40 from the Atlanta area, Nance says.

Kevin Maer, a gay Little Rock, Ark., resident, plans to attend
Southern Decadence for the first time this year, and says having
Convergence 2005 take place simultaneously is a comforting contrast
to the usual scene at Decadence.

“Some in the gay community can be kind of hurtful to those that don’t
fit their ideal, but I plan on getting out there and having a good
time with my friends, [some of whom] are from other parts of the
country that I don’t get to see much,” Maer says.

SOUTHERN DECANDENCE earned its reputation by being one of the most
unapologetically racy exhibitions of gay life, where outlandish
costumes and outdoor sex were the norm.

But public sex occurs with less frequency in recent years thanks to
protests from religious conservatives in New Orleans, an increased
police presence and a campaign by Southern Decadence organizers to
cut the number of revelers that land in the city jail.

But the costumes remain, and this year’s parade grand marshals, Lisa
Beaumann and Regina Adams, chose the “Jazz & Jezebels” theme to
celebrate one of the most fiercely roaring eras in America’s history.

“They’re going for a 1920s theme, and they’re looking for glamour and
gangster costumes from what I gather,” says Rip Naquin-Delain, Web
host for SouthernDecadence.com.

Naquin-Delain expects 2005 to be “a bumper year” for the event, based
on more than 1,000 people per day who download the special events
calendar from his Web site.

For last year’s event, an estimated 125,000 people filled the French
Quarter and added about $87 million to the New Orleans economy,
according to Naquin-Delain, who adds that organizers hope to exceed
both figures this year.

Southern Decadence maintains its raucous flavor, but crowds heeded
warnings about the increased police presence and became tamer in
recent years, Naquin-Delain says.

“Over the past few years, we’ve been conducting a campaign to take
those intimate acts inside, because we don’t want anybody locked up
for lewd behavior,” he says.

Emo Phillips was pulled over in Massachusetts for reckless driving.
When brought before the judge, Emo was asked if he knew what the
punishment for drunk driving in that state was. His reply: "I don't
know, re-election to the Senate?"