[Dixielandjazz] Australian jazz presented in Europe

Richard Stevens thejazzfactory at ozemail.com.au
Sat Aug 27 15:03:27 PDT 2005

Hi David,
Your interest in young Australian bands is certainly well founded . Some of
the others include Cat Empire (now quite famous here) and Shuffle Club.
Shuffle Club are coming to the Noosa Jazz Festival next weekend doing a
transit flight from Edinburgh. There has been a steady stream of jazz
musicians in Europe since the genre was kick started there again in the 50's
by the Bell Band's that toured there. You are quite right about their
acceptance in Europe where traditional jazz is regarded as another cultural
art form. Evidently in the United States the "cultural" aspects of the music
is not applied to earlier forms of jazz. One day you may get to hear some of
Michael Mcquaid's work. He is a sensational reeds player at 23 years and has
young groups ranging from a swinging quartet to a self arranged big band. I
have been lucky enough to play with him a few times and will be doing so at
the above festival. We didn't have a 2nd trumpet for one show so Michael
will play first trumpet in our Watters style 8 piece. I don't know why, but
Australia is still "the" melting pot for traditional jazz in the world!
If you would like I can steer you towards some other recordings. I suspect
however that most on this list will not be interested. I recently posted a
few tracks on my website and emailed the list to that effect asking for
opinions. I don't care if every one hated the stuff we do, but I only got 2

regards,
Richard Stevens
www.thejazzfactory.net