[Dixielandjazz] Jazz preservation in Europe?

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sat Aug 27 11:01:49 PDT 2005

One band of current interest to me is the Australian group "The
Hoodangers" ( recommended on this list by Cees van den Heuvel and Bill
Haesler.) I got 2 of their CDs and I was really knocked out by their
updating of trad/OKOM standards. There is so much energy and skill,
along with  great respect for the original songs (and more than a bit
of subtle humor.)  They need to be invited to some US festivals very
soon!

  They hang out in Europe a lot and seem to be influenced somewhat by
the new wave of brass band/jazz/new-vaudevilletraditional folk/street
bands that have been playing in the last decade. From what I have been
hearing lately, I think this is one of the major  directions Trad will
be going in the next 20-30 years, at least in Europe and even some
American cultural centers like NYC and San Francisco.

More at http://www.aian.com.au/hoodangers/Bio.htm

Dave Richoux