[Dixielandjazz] Jazz preservation in Europe?

Rob & Carla Henneveld - Jazz Connection info at jazzconnection.nl
Sat Aug 27 03:05:14 PDT 2005

Hi Jim and list mates,

I don't respond so often due to a hard working day time job, management of
three bands (evening work) and 2 small children. But I love to read some of
the subjects on the mailing list for so many years already.

Concerning the remarks of Jim: I agree with you. The only thing is that -
from my point of view - there is not "Jamie's jazz" and "our jazz" at least
"my jazz". Perhaps there is a difference within jazz styles regarding to
most of the list members and myself I don't know. Jamie's popularity is
there because he is marketed very well in several countries and he was there
at the right place and the right moment (don't forget luck is the most
important thing). I don't think he's a rich person right now if I see what
they do to promote his CD's so far. But he will be the next few years if
this continues. He's does not have a guarantee for this. And that brings me
back to the youngsters. In our (there) throw- away-society-of today new
artists changes very quickly. Record companies have extreme difficulties to
define the market. It's they other way around: the market makes it's own
decisions. They consumers did it with MP3, they do it with artists.
If I look at several jazz venues here in Holland I see that the crowd turns
down and the age grow up. Youngster will never commit themselves to a
community like these jazz clubs.

Youngsters want - like Jim said - to be entertained for an evening and have
a good time. If there is any (good presented) music, it's fine.

Jazz clubs as we have today will disappear more and more here in Holland.
They only thing we can do is make a change. But you have to understand the
youngsters which is very difficult. Don't continue with your mind as you
have done the last decade.
As long as youngsters don't commit themselves to a community (individuality
proces) I will organise events on a temporary basis. Jazz Connection started
with a Big Jazz Night last year. Only one night, once a year. We got 400
young people with 2 bands. I keep my fingers crossed for 2006 edition......
The risks are much more higher than for a jazz clubs. I cannot predict what
the public will do regarding the next edition in 2006.

I'm interested in the opinions of the European and USA (and other !!!) list
mates so we can learn from each other. Mean question: does everybody feel
the change in public to OKOM?

I'm open to it and hope to hearing from you.

Regards,
Rob Henneveld
www.jazzconnection.nl