[Dixielandjazz] gig bags

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri Aug 26 14:44:29 PDT 2005

 Larry Walton wrote:

(snip)
   > I really have a low
> opinion of gig bags.  A friend of mine got a new Selmer alto and a brand
> new
> gig bag.  Someone left it on the driveway behind the car and it got
> flattened like a beer can.  This was the first night out too.
>  (snip)

Gig bags are great when used for what they are intended.  I have one for my
banjo.  But, whenever I travel on the airline, or travel in a situation
where the banjo will be in a car or truck with luggage, I use a hard shell
case that is made to go through baggage handling at airports.  It has been
all over the world & works great.  The only damage to the banjo was when
someone in baggage tried to take the resonator off, (I suppose they were
looking for drugs or explosive material), by unscrewing the tail piece.
They lost the nut that holds it on.  Needless to say, I was pissed!

For carrying a instrument a distance, especially at jazz festivals, you
can't beat the gig bag.  You just have to be careful.

I NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, set an instrument, suitcase or anything else
behind a car.  I always set it to the side or preferably on the hood.  That
way the driver will see it before driving off.

I think it was Paul Waltz or John Goodman who ran over his bass sax with a
car.  Took Paul a year & 1/2 to repair it.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Placerville, CA USA
The Boondockers (jazz and Comedy)
The Fulton Street Jazz Band