[Dixielandjazz] Larry's Back

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 26 08:27:34 PDT 2005

On Friday, August 26, 2005, at 04:36 AM, Jim Kashishian wrote:

> The greatest line is when a returning to the States American takes a
> sip of
> that awful brew they make on the airlines and says "finally, a
> proper cup of
> coffee!"  I've heard it over & over.  That's after they've been in
> "coffee
> heaven" for their whole vacation (if they were in Spain).

Haven't tried Spanish coffee yet but will soon.   I grew up in Texas
before WWII near one of the German settlements (that produced Admiral
Von Nimitz) where everyone made German coffee--strong and rich with
heavy cream and no sugar.  Never found decent coffee again until the
first time I flew Luftansa: holy smoke!  Real coffee!  I've been
grinding my own beans for years now, Arabian Matari when I can find
it; or, from Trader Joe's, the Kenya AA+.   Just don't put in too
much water!

I will not order coffee in American restaurants: it is seldom drinkable.

Charlie