[Dixielandjazz] Different arguments

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Aug 18 01:11:24 PDT 2005

Seems to me that there are different "perfects" for all the different types
on DJML.

I prefer playing gobs of nights at a local jazz club instead of a few
festivals spread around the world.  Others don't have the advantage of the
clubs, and anyway, prefer the family feeling of the festivals.  Some want to
work their band as multiple bands using the same name, with stiff, steady
promotion.  Others prefer to promote their time given image & get their gigs
through "word of mouth".  Their particular situations will determine which
works best for them, their band/bands, and their personnel.

Preaching about how it should be done?  Ok, if you have a message...put it
out there.  But, it is not necessarily the right message for all
bands/situations that needs be put out as the one truth or needs to be
restated over and over.

Festivals, clubs, private or commercial parties, park gigs, marching
gigs....  Who cares, as long as we get to play.  (We do all but the
marching!).

Jim