[Dixielandjazz] Red Murrell

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 15 12:34:03 PDT 2005

Red Murrell played and sang and told jokes for Cell Block 7 for about 4
years after he moved to Lodi...he learned tenor banjo in about 5 days to get
gigs in OKOM bands...he was in one word.. WONDERFUL!!!! Jazz fiddle, guitar,
banjo, and great vocals...he handled the mike for us...I could type all day
about him, so many stories!
He performed with Merle Travis and Ernie Ford, made 12 movies with
Travis..THE DURANGO KID westerns. He was both good guy and bad guy in the
movies...just changed hats! Same horses! I've seen two of those movies made
in the mid '40's in the hills above Hollywood. He dated Mary Ford before she
met Les Paul, and he composed and published sheet music, and his wife still
has some old 78 rpm Deccas with his Western Swing band!
He passed away about 4 years ago here in Lodi...in his later years I would
pick him up, take him to lunch and then go the driving range to hit some
golf balls...he loved golf and was a handicap golfer.
When I visited him in the "Rest home"(...ug!) He would be listening to a
little tape player, and the nurses said he would sing along many times to
their enjoyment.
He was probably the most "ethical" musician I've ever known! Gave me a lot
of good advice...
He used to tell people in the audience that "he was raised singing hymns in
the protestant church, and for a time considered becoming a TV evangelist
like Jimmy Swaggert and James Bakker, but, he didn't do it because he
discovered he didn't have enough sex drive!"
(ka-boom!)
After he died, his wife, Ann, sold their home in Woodbridge and moved to
Santa Cruz, close to their daughter. She gave me his golf clubs before she
left!
Too much info, I know!
I really loved that guy
Sorry!