[Dixielandjazz] On being an opening act for a "nationally prominent group".

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 15 10:50:27 PDT 2005

tcashwigg at aol.com

> I once made the mistake of putting a RED HOT Fantastic Bluegrass act
> on a tour with the Steve Miller Band back in the early 70s, with his
> blessing of course.  They came out the first night at the Berkeley
> Community Theater sold out show and Blew the audience away.  Took 30
> minutes to calm the crowd down before Miller would come out on stage to
> do his show.  Now Steve actually liked the group at the time and did
> not feel threatened by them or their music,  Whoops!  wake up call, he
> screamed for my ass from the dressing room and told me to get those
> &(*&@$%^@ out of the venue and cancel them from the rest of the tour,
> as he was not going to have any of that attempted upstaging shit on his
> tour.

AMEN TOM.

We had the good(?) fortune a few years ago, to open for Dirty Dozen Brass
Band at one MAJOR MODERN JAZZ Festival and then for Preservation Hall at
another. Both local Festivals and both trying to draw additional audience by
promoting a "New Orleans Night" during their week long programs.

Our presentations were too strong according to audience feedback and word
from the Festival promoters. We were told by Festival movers and shakers
that we could never open for either of them again. :-) VBG.

But, we sure as heck got a lot of local work thereafter because in the ears
of those who book us locally, we blew them both away.

Cheers,
Steve