[Dixielandjazz] On being an opening act for a "nationally prominent group".

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Aug 15 11:47:10 PDT 2005

When That happens with our shows and the festival folks get paranoid
about it, I tell them quite simply that next time you decide to pair us
up together let them open for Us, not a problem, if they can't stand
the heat then maybe they should improve their act or get out of the
kitchen.   Unfortunately it sounds like those particular Festival
powers that be are a bit one eyed in their personal taste of New
Orleans Music if not Star Struck about hanging out with Name National
Acts with a Name and sometimes not much else.  Like Preservation Hall
Jazz Band.   I have simply Never seen a Strong contingency of them,  I
recently had a promoter tell me that he had bought them strictly for
the name value but knew they would not be very exciting.

We have discussed before how many event producers and promoters have no
clue what they are doing either, and get sold a bill of goods by agents
all the time all in the name of booking NAME acts, many who are long
gone has beens and in some cases never were's.

Like I always say it is a tough business on many fronts and you need to
keep your wits about you to stay in it and make a living.

Some of the material Saint Gabriel's plays would probably irritate
staunch Hard Core Dixielanders in the front row, but we have to stay on
the cutting edge of various forms of music because we are playing at
all kinds of music events and must step up to the plate and hit a home
run at all of them to keep building and maintaining a good reputation.
  Fortunately it has been working well for he past 7 or 8 years and we
are getting some headline spots on some Festivals in European countries
now, and get opening act spots on many shows.   I am always careful to
do our thing and make a musical statement but always with respect to
the headline act hosting us, I don't try to blow them off the stage,
but I will always give them something to shoot for when they come out
so that they give the audience the best they have and their money's
worth.   NO resting on their laurels so to speak.

If they won't entertain the audience we will.   I have left shows far
too many times hearing the disappointment from fans that paid a lot of
money to see a headline act and felt that the act was no longer worth
going to see and hear, yet the promoters keep trotting them out just
because they have a NAME.   They don't have to PROMOTE a Name Act, just
advertise it, new acts need to be promoted, there is a big difference
between Promoting and Presenting.   Far too many promoters want to be
presenters rather than work hard at promoting new acts and or their
events for that matter.

The Dirty Dozen was an inspiration for my band of course, but I reached
back and took ideas form many other Brass Bands as well and try to keep
a balance between the Traditional sound and repertoire and the more
modern approach of Dirty Dozen, I am more inclined to stay in the
commercial vein than to keep pushing the envelope like they do often
over the edge and the heads of the audience.   Great players just
different  musical ideology.    They do a mean funeral however and can
be as Traditional as anybody else if they want to .   I just don't
think they want to anymore.

On the other hand Preservation Hall is stuck trying to be strictly
Traditional and just don't reach the younger fast paced audience of the
jazz oblivious.  In my opinion they should be headlining Folk festivals
and play on some Blues  & roots festivals rather than Jazz festivals
which long ago outgrew them and their style except for the occasional
well artistically balanced event.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins