[Dixielandjazz] Re: Presidential Music

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 14 06:50:21 PDT 2005

> Bill Haesler wrote:

> A good try Steve!
> But wot about the rest of the CD?
> Here are the 11 tracks:
> "My One and Only Love" by John Coltrane
> "Harlem Nocturne" by David Sandborn
> "My Funny Valentine" by Miles Davis
> "The Town I Loved So Well" by Phil Coulter
> "There Will Never Be Another You" by Art Tatum
> "Summertime" by Zoot Sims
> "In the Presence of Jehovah" by Mickey Mangun
> "Nostalgie" by Igor Butman
> "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free" by Nina Simone
> "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" by Mahalia Jackson
> "Chelsea Morning" by Judy Collins.

Dear Bill:

Well the rest of the CD was neither printed in the original NY Times Article
posted, nor an issue with Mike's answer. Therefore irrelevant, except to
discographers as additional clutter. :-) VBG

> I'm with Mike.
> Apart from the Art Tatum item, there is certainly no OKOM there for me.
> But you knew that, didnya?.  8>)

Yes, I would have thought so, except for "Take My Hand Precious Lord' which
speaks to very roots of Traditional Jazz. ;-) VBG

Plus all the prior discussions on the DJML of those music forms which are
NOT DIXIELAND, like swing, etc. Plus, Tatum is hardly Dixieland either so
YKOM is a sort of sliding kind of OKOM based upon personal preferences where
the one eye winks once in a while. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Have you listened to the "Summertime" version? Perhaps you might like
that as OKOM too. :-) VBG.