[Dixielandjazz] Re: Suitcases - Was washboards

Bob Loomis miltloomis at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 07:08:50 PDT 2005

   Joe Craven. a musical genius and a fiddler and
mandolinist who's known mainly for his work with
the David Grisman Quintet, plays percussion with
DGQ also, and sometimes used his fabric-covered
violin case to great effect ... he also does
mouth percussion so well that audience members at
first sit bewildered, trying to figure out where
the that sound is coming from when there are no
percussion instruments on stage. An amazing
musician and an amazing guy, even if he's not
playing OKOM. Someone told me he's left Grisman
to pursue a solo career, but I'm not sure that's
true.
   As to washboard, I've played one from time to
time and the audience always seems to perk up
when it's added to the music. I've seen people
who were sitting with blah looks on their faces
suddenly smile and get up and start dancing when
washboard is heard ... I often use those hard
plastic drum brushes on mine, or softer ones
played on the plain board side of the washboard
for ballads that need a softer brushing sound ...
You can also combine the use of one brush and one
drumstick ...

Happy Webtrails, Bob (Washboard Road) Loomis