[Dixielandjazz] Music is ?

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Sat Apr 23 01:26:48 PDT 2005

Music which describes, evokes or otherwise alludes to a non-musical source
e.g. a poem, novel, play, picture, landscape, or an explicit emotional
experience is referred to as "illustrative music" or "programme music".
Joplin's Crush Collision March is a good example, written to describe the
1896 occasion when a deliberate head-on collision between two locomotives
was staged, the engines blew up killing three spectators and injuring many
others.

One of my sources says : "In its crudest form programme music is purely
imitative; many sounds - bird song, thunder and the like - are readily
imitated.".

On the other hand "absolute music" does not depend for its full appreciation
on any association with a story or mood or other fact of life.

So now you know.

John Farrell