[Dixielandjazz] (Dixieland Jazz) Pete Kelly's Blues

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Apr 19 13:45:39 PDT 2005

There was also an earlier radio show which featured pretty much the same
musicians.  If I remember correctly, In the show, Jack Web was a trumpet
player who also went out & solved crimes.

Webb & Cathcart were in WWII together & became close friends.  Jack always
wanted to be a trumpet player.

Ray Sherman told me that while he actually played himself in the film (he
didn't have a speaking part). But Nick Fatool was so in demand in the
studios that he did not want to take the time to hang around the set.  Thus
Nick did not appear on camera.

Nick was such an "in demand" studio musician, that he would have morning,
afternoon & evening sessions.  he would bring a cot to the studio to rest
in-between the sessions.

Ray once told me about an experience while filming.  He had never been
involved in a film before & did not realize that *no one says "cut" on the
set, except the director.  Really, even actors should continue a scene until
the director says cut.

there is a scene where someone gives Jack Webb, who is supposed to be
playing the trumpet, a dollar tip.  Webb throws it over his shoulder & Ray
was supposed to catch it in a bear mug.

Ray misses the dollar & yells "cut!"  Everyone on the set fell down
laughing.  Needless to say, Ray was very embarrassed.

While the story line was pretty corny, there was sure some good music in the
film.  You can't go wrong with those musicians.

Another interesting fact:

Dick Cary told me that there was quite a rivalry between Eddie Condon on the
east coast & Matty Matlock on the west coast.

He said that Matty was very serious about his music & thought that it was
terrible the way that Condon used to talk while recording.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Placerville, CA USA