[Dixielandjazz] (Dixieland Jazz) Pete Kelly's Blues

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Apr 19 09:04:10 PDT 2005

Thanks. I had forgotten about Ella. She sang "Hard Hearted Hannah,"
which I at the time I thought was a throw-away in light of her hip jazz
stuff, but I came to appreciate the humor. ("Talk about your cold,
refrigeratin' mommas--Brother, she's the polar bear's pajamas."--etc.)
Peggy Lee recorded quite a few novelty tunes, far worse, over the
years, but she often managed to satirize the material even as she sang
it.

The Pete Kelly band's lineup is almost the same as my Ben Pollack's
Pick-a-Rib Boys CD, except for the bass man, the addition of Van Eps,
and of course Fatool for Pollack. I had thought Pollack was a has-been
until hearing his "comeback" band--wonderful Dixieland drumming.
Grateful for so much good music. Fatool had long been a favorite of
mine, under-rated outside of OKOM lovers--dug him with Shaw in the
early days, in various OKOM settings in the 50s, and later (60s) in
person with Pete Fountain in N.O.  Pete also treated everyone to
hearing Jack Sperling in N.O. and on many recordings. What a versatile,
inventive player. Few drummers brought modern conception and chops to
Dixieland better than he did.

Charlie Suhor