[Dixielandjazz] (Dixieland Jazz) Pete Kelly's Blues

Bryce, John (CCPS) jbryce at ccboe.com
Tue Apr 19 07:46:58 PDT 2005

That movie suffered from all sorts of problems, not the least of which was
Webb's acting. Pete Kelly swings from being a tough guy to being terrorized
by the mobster all in the same scene.  Lee Marvin's character fights with
Webb's character in a scene where the motivations are absolutely chaotic.

Does the mobster like Lee's character, or not?  You can't be sure from the
movie.

But the music was great and Peggy Lee was surprisingly good.  So was Ella.

I did some checking and found that pizza, which was supposed to be the
specialty of the restaurant the band play in, didn't really become known in
America until the 1950's.  I remember a restaurant in Keansburg, NJ that had
a sign that said "Pizza" and then under that said "Italian Tomato Pie."
Nobody knew what it was!   So I doubth that a popular speakeasy in the
heartland would be serving it in the 1920s.

Jack Bryce