[Dixielandjazz] Sweet and Lowdown

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Mon Apr 18 19:39:36 PDT 2005

Lily Korte asks:

>  Are there any films out there where the actors portraying musicians
>  actually
> do a good job at faking playing their instruments? If there  are, I sure
> haven't seen any of 'em.

I suggest that a special award go to the worst piano fake playing because  it
is so obviously wrong when you see it. I'm referring especially to the actor
moving arms back and forth like a metronome while talking to someone standing
at  the piano. But the really good fakes are very impressive to see. My most
memorable recollection is the film, The Competition, with some  realistic
fingering by the lead actor (can't recall the name). I'm certain that  other
listmates can recall some other great fakes on the keyboard.

Dan Spink