[Dixielandjazz] Side lining

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Apr 18 21:41:24 PDT 2005

The lipsincing being referred to is called "side lining." An agreement
betwee SAG and the AFof M was that whenever extra's or musicians were to
be seen on camera, real, card-carryng musicians would get the work.
Music is pres-recorded and then the musicains on the side line call fake
it. Some did it better than other, especially if theywere part of a real
band because they knew the charts by heart. Others maybe fumbled away.
Either way is was good gig money andeasy on the chops.
Exception:  when the musicians' shown had speaking lines, then they were
SAG people. Example: Lee MArvin in Pete Kelley's Blues.
I made the most money of my young life when I sidelined with my dad for
some Snider Telescriptions, several days work, plus the pre-recording of
the music meant about the equal in today's money of about 1500 bucks.
For a single, 19-year old it was good duty fro two days work.
I also sidelined with Phil Harris and w as on the s et when the news
came about Kennedy's being shot in Dallas. The set was closed for  two
days. We came back and did two more days of sideline work, and that
brought me $1200 in 1960's  loot.
Don Ingle