[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bill Charlap

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Mon Apr 18 18:31:18 PDT 2005

I first heard Bill Charlap at a Jazz Party at Salishan Lodge on the
Oregon Coast about 10 years ago.  He had some fast company on the keys
out there:  James Washingto0n (now deceased) and Gerald Wiggins.  A
tremendous event for the listeners.

Bill Charlap was unquestionablly the most talented, versatile, and
creative pianist I' had heard in years.  Technique to spare, concepts
that ranged from polytonality to stride, bop to swing, and alla of it
fathomable and musical.

I didn't follow his career, but heard later that he went to New York to
work with Phil Woods.  I'm certainly glad he's getting some exposure on
the DJML via his recording with Scott Hamilton.

This guy can not only play, but he can swing--- a combination not always
found in many modern day artists.

Regards, Harold Smith