[Dixielandjazz] Space as feeling in music

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri Apr 15 10:53:54 PDT 2005

Bill & all--

If your intuitions don't line up with Cage's ideas, Buddhist
perspectives, etc., or if you've got syllogistic arguments to
"disprove" them, that's your reality and no one can deny its validity
for you. Your well-reasoned arguments, though, bedsides being
answerable with other well-reasoned arguments, don't seem to
acknowledge that paradox and ambiguity are enriching and revealing.
Paradox and ambiguity are at the center of what Cage, Reimer, and
Buddhism--not to mention poetry, music and the other arts
themselves--are all about. Ironically, paradox and ambiguity are the
source of the clarity that art brings to our experience.

To be fair, it's certainly possible to dig the arts thoroughly and not
like particular formulations of aesthetic theory and practice, like
Cage's. I just happen to find those ways of looking at music to be
useful, both as logical statements and as emotional resonances.

Ambivalent and loving it,

Charlie Suhor