[Dixielandjazz] Space as feeling in music

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 15 10:10:27 PDT 2005

Hi listmates,

Charles Suhor writes (regarding "silence" and "music"):

>In a sense, everything we hear is perceived against a backdrop of silence.

This is way of saying "silence is something" as opposed to "silence is
nothing."

I could restate the issue by saying ". . . everything we hear is the absence
of silence."

There is nothing mystical about silence - it's just the absence of noise.

Music, in any sense of the word, must have that element of noise. Without it
there is no music. Such idiocies as 4'33" do not strike me as profound as
much as they strike me as absurd and hence, at best, funny!

I used to think that 4'33" was deep and that Cage was promoting deep
cerebral convulsions in the listeners grey matter.  Today I find the notion
puerile and without merit.

Charles goes on to say:

>In the Buddhist tradition, attention to this spacious source is blissful,
>and sense impressions of all kinds move through it like clouds drifting in
>a clear sky. John Cage was saying something like this, I believe, when he
>said we can experience everything as music . . .

When you say that "everything is music" then you are truly saying "nothing
is music."

Music is "special" and if you try to aver that everything is "special" then
"special" has no meaning.

There is the story about the Buddhist monk who, when he became
"enlightened," found that all his perceptions of the world were false. When
he realized the true nature of the universe birds sang special songs for him
and all the woodland animals came to him and ate from his hand.

But finally one day he became "fully enlightened" and he discovered that
trees were just trees and the birds no longer sang for him and the woodland
animals simply ignored him.

Cage was trying to make music something that it isn't and, in the process,
produced nothing. 4'33" is the ultimate expression of this folly.

Other than that, Cage was a genius.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Running for cover" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com