[Dixielandjazz] Space as feeling in music

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Fri Apr 15 14:25:00 PDT 2005

Strikes me odd that only a week ago, many were complaining of musos that
played too many notes.

I do disagree, to an extent, that silence is the absence of noise.
Perhaps, in some contexts, however, in music we call silence rests.
There is a formal group of symbols representing rests of different
lengths.  Composers use rests to 'turn on' and to 'turn off' instruments
thus varying the color of a piece of music.

With Sac à Pulses, Marc (drums) and I (tuba) will drop out a chorus
leaving Jules (alto guitar) by himself on the rhythmic chores.  To say
that our 'not producing noise' is 'not musical' is total hogwash.  In
truth, the entire texture of the ensemble changes radically.  Our
'rests' are a valid and effective musical effect or they wouldn't be
arranged into our tunes.

In solos too, rests are valid musical entities.  Even top bop players
will leave pauses in their note flurries not just to take a breath, but
to express something.  Where the rest is places and its duration is as
emotional as when and for how long he/she plays a high G...or, for me, a
double low D.

I too am a fan of John Cage reserving that I don't care for everything
he has done.  His 4:33 by itself out of the context of a two hour
concert may seem thin.  Yet, I'm sure to see it live within a concert
full of mind wrenching harmonies and avant garde musical expression
would be an entirely different animal.  No, I won't go buy the CD to
listen to that track.  But, seeing 4:33 on the program of a concert of
his work would not keep me from going to the concert.

Again, as with the 'note count' thread, we are talking differences of
tastes and sensibilities.

Humbly, Gary

Gary Kiser
www.sacapulses.com