[Dixielandjazz] Re: Totally off topic - for W. C. Fields fans

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 02:22:21 PDT 2005

>Totally off topic?
Not for me. WC Fields (along with Laurel & Hardy and the Marx Brothers) was

>part of the Jazz Age. Well, for me he was.

No problem with any of this Bill. Looking at some of the names could explain
some of the characters from Round The Horne, a highly successful BBC Radio
comedy from the '60s, written by Marty Feldman and Barry Took.
Such names as Elias Mooseblaster, Mrs Gandelope Whale-Trouser and J
Peasmould Gruntfuttock definitely have Fields echoes.

They did a spoof on Jazz, called 'Young Horne With A Man', which featured
Bix Spiderthrust, Jelly Roll Pankstukely, Meade Lux Panderbody, Howlin'
Charlie Swampfever, Norbert Potwalloper, etc.

BBC 7 is currently running the entire series and can be heard on line. They
are also running the wonderful Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel shows
recreated by Frank Lazarus from the Marx Bros radio show scripts in the
'30s. Not forgetting Hancock and the Goons. Good jazz and good comedy go
together

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com