[Dixielandjazz] Norm Vickers Take on N.O. Jazz & Heritage

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 12 14:25:14 PDT 2005

"Norman Vickers" <nvickers1 at cox.net> posted about the crowds at the N.O.
Jazz & Heritage Festival: (post deleted for brevity)

Great Caveat, Norm. It certainly is not for the faint of heart, or us older
folks. I'm glad I'm not going after reading your comments.

On the other hand, it sounds as if it is no different from hundreds of Rock
Concerts in ball parks, open space like Woodstock, etc., etc. Being a bit
claustrophobic I wouldn't go to them either. Heck, I don't even go to MKOM
outdoor concerts in Philadelphia any more after that same crowd experience
with a Harry Connick Jr., concert in Fairmont Park. (But I wish I could
perform there)

Thankfully for N.O. J&H, "we" are not the targeted audience. The kids are.
(Those in the 25 to 55 year old age group) They go because, like Mardi Gras,
it is a "happening". And there is a certain safety in the anonymity of a
crowd. And they apparently love it. And perhaps that "VIP" deal was
implemented to attract the older crowd. Makes it a bit easier.

So bless them that goes. Maybe a little jazz will rub off. Like it did on a
young Louis Armstrong viewing Mardi Gras. (according to his own words)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. I wouldn't even go any large outdoor OKOM Festival, or Mardi Gras as a
spectator for the same reason. Besides, here in the Eastern USA, from NYC to
Washington DC there is so much OKOM jazz going on in clubs and/or at smaller
public events, there is just no reason to do so.