[Dixielandjazz] Re: Totally off topic - for W. C. Fields fans

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 12 17:34:14 PDT 2005

Dear Dave (plus Bill, Charlie, Mike, et al.)
Being a WC Fields fan from down-under since I wuz knee-high to a
grasshopper, I immediately assumed that your reference to Cardinal Godfried
Daneels (no disrespect intended) was to the many aliases used by WC Fields
in his movies, radio and TV shows.
I had forgotten about the "Godfrey Daniels!" expression.
Hereunder are some of the aliases and character names used by the great one.
Totally off topic?
Not for me. WC Fields (along with Laurel & Hardy and the Marx Brothers) was
part of the Jazz Age. Well, for me he was.
Kind regards,
Bill.

*Samuel Bisbee
*Harold Bissonette ("Don't call me Mr. Bissonett in front of Mrs.
BissoNAY!")
*Charles Bogle
*Boppindill
*Otis Criblecoblis
*Frank Criddlehopper
*Crudd/Crud
*Dilweg
*Effingham. As in Effingham Bellweather and Effingham Huffnagel
*Fortescue
*Charley Frobisher
*Mahatma Kane Jeeves
*Eustace P. McGargle
*The Great McGonigle
*Marmaduke Gump
*Loudmouth McNasty
*Mr. Muckle
*Neselrode. Turns up several times, including a mother-in-law Mrs. Cordelia
Neselrode.
*Og Oggilby
*Ouliotta. Some female characters, including Ouliotta Hemoglobin
*Miss Peppitone
*Posthlewhistle
*Prettywillie/Prettiwillie. As in Elmer Prettywillie and Sheriff Prettywilly
*Repulsive Rogan
*Gretchel Schickelgruber
*Chester Snavely
*J. Pinkerton Snoopington