[Dixielandjazz] Totally off topic - for W. C. Fields fans

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:12:45 PDT 2005

For those who don't recall W.C. Fields and his unique way of speaking I'll
refresh your memory . . .

Fields had an exclamation he would use from time to time when he was
surprised or frustrated or whatever. "Godfrey Daniels!" he would exclaim, "I
think I need a drink!(or whatever)"

Of course, "Godfrey Daniels" was a euphemism for "God Damn" . . . much like
"Gol Darn" and so on.

So for a Cardinal of the church to show up with a name "Godfried Daneels"
winds up being a funny coincidence.

Well, it made me laugh anyway!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Jiminy Cricket" Gunter