[Dixielandjazz] Re: Multiple choruses - was notes

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 6 11:09:14 PDT 2005

Bill Haesler at bhaesler at bigpond.net.au wrote: (polite snip)

> Which recalls for me the story of Coleman Hawkins at The Cherry Blossom on
> 12th Street in Kansas City (while on tour with the Fletcher Henderson band)
> in December 1933 and his night-long battle with Herschel Evans, Ben Webster
> and Lester Young.
> This event is sometimes cited as a 'loss' for Hawkins to Lester, the
> confident young would-be rival. I doubt this, but it certainly didn't do
> Lester's reputation any harm.
> I've also always thought of the incident as being a bit unfair. Three young
> 'uns against one older champion. I would loved to have been there!

Dear Bill:

Me too. Those kinds of cutting contests don't happen much today.

I was lucky enough to play with Bean a few times in the late 1950s, once at
the Hampton Arts Theater in Southampton, New York with a New Orleans style
band. He was a top notch guy. Reserved, Regal, Intelligent and one hell of a
player. Great sound and great ideas.

He knew his OKOM and requested that we play both The Chant and The Pearls.
Naturally the audience requested Body & Soul.

It was a bit intimidating for a 20 something jazz wannabe to be playing
clarinet in a band that included Coleman Hawkins on Tenor.

Cheers,
Steve