[Dixielandjazz] Re: Multiple choruses - was notes

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 5 23:17:26 PDT 2005

Dear Steve,
You said [snip]: >master bopster Charlie Parker was quoted as saying: "Any
more than 4 choruses and you are just practicing."<
Oz drummer Len Barnard (Bob's older brother) tells the story of the bopper
who, when asked why he took such a long solo, replied "I was hoping it would
get better!"
You also mentioned Paul Gonsalves 27-chorus tenor sax solo on "Diminuendo &
Crescendo in Blue" with Ellington at Newport in 56.
Which recalls for me the story of Coleman Hawkins at The Cherry Blossom on
12th Street in Kansas City (while on tour with the Fletcher Henderson band)
in December 1933 and his night-long battle with Herschel Evans, Ben Webster
and Lester Young.
This event is sometimes cited as a 'loss' for Hawkins to Lester, the
confident young would-be rival. I doubt this, but it certainly didn't do
Lester's reputation any harm.
I've also always thought of the incident as being a bit unfair. Three young
'uns against one older champion. I would loved to have been there!
Regards,
Bill.