[Dixielandjazz] Misrepresentation?

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Fri Apr 1 11:10:54 PST 2005

At 11:24 AM 04/01/05 -0500, you wrote:
>     I recently ordered a double CD from Worlds Records of '40's big
>bands issued by a company called "Soundies".
>I was expecting the sound tracks of "Soundies", film clips of big bands
>that were played on juke-boxes with viewing screens around1943 or so.
>They were NOT Soundies sound tracks! Was I wrong in feeling I had been
>misled?
>    And BTW, why haven't the original Soundies been reissued on DVD? I
>for one would buy the lot!
>      Cheers from Bert Joss, still in Florida. (And now 80 years old!)

Hi Bert. The Soundies label is well-known for reissuing
"transcriptions"--records made in studios exclusively for radio broadcast.
Search the Worlds Records database under "Soundies" and see what they have.

I think you were not "misled" in the sense of misrepresentation, but rather
were looking for something that wasn't there because there are two
different "Soundies".

I'm sure you can get your money back. I'd eMail them at
info at worldsrecords.com

and get their ok to return the CD.

There's some great stuff on transcription disks, and there are now many
reissues on various CD labels. The Goodman and Artie Shaw "Thesaurus"
recordings were "transcriptions".

--Sheik