[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz in Church

l.swain at comcast.net l.swain at comcast.net
Fri Apr 1 06:54:44 PST 2005

On 1 Apr 2005 Charles Suhor <csuhor at zebra.net> wrote:

> The recent touching Jazz in Church message from Dave Stoddard
reminded
> me of a different jazz in church program that I'd like to share
with
> you. In  March we had a concert at the Unitarian Universalist
> Fellowship in Montgomery, Ala., by Rev. Steve Crump, the UU
Minster in
> Baton Rouge, La. He’s a first-rate jazz vocalist. Steve sang jazz
> standards with a local quartet and had backup tapes for songs
from his
> excellent CD of originals, Relationship Jazz. He doesn’t deal in
> well-worn pieties but explores different kinds and shades of
> relationships. Nice stuff. Steve does jazz services as well as
> concerts. You can check out his website at hear samples at
> http://www.relationshipjazz.com/

Ed Kemp, pastor of the Congregational Church in Milford, MA, has
been conducting an OKOM jazz worship service every year for the
past few years, with top-notch area musicians, including Ed
himself.

Milford is over an hour's drive away for me, and I'm not a
Congregationalist, but I wouldn't miss this for anything.

Some pictures from the service two years ago can be found at

			http://tinyurl.com/3vosy

Larry Swain

l.swain at comcast.net
617 (571) 7885