[Dixielandjazz] Democracy in the band - Acoustics.

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Apr 1 01:43:17 PST 2005

I wrote:

 > Whoa, Steve.  You've gone a bit overboard here.

And, Steve wrote:
For which I apologize, from what you said I thought you were being bugged by
a major problem. _____________________________________________

No, only occassionally we get located on a large stage a bit further apart
than we desire, due to some visual desire by the stage crew who have set up
the gear, and then we might have the problem mentioned.  I can only go so
far in dictating to the pianist what I think should be in his mix.  I
thought maybe some newly discovered maths might influence him somewhat,
therefore my question on DJML.

My remark about not being able to be a Gen. Franco from time to time, was
just a tongue in cheek thing (which can't be seen very well in an email!),
as that would be the easiest solution to the audio problem, but would create
personal problems.

I am, in all actuality, the leader of the band (although quite by default),
but any really heavy stuff gets sorted out as a group.  I can't say "you're
out", nor would I want to.  However, what goes on on the stage is pretty
much dictated by myself (just because I'm the cheakiest!).  I hate that
"what should we play now?" attitude when you have an audience in front. The
feeling of "a group of friends" is what most comes over to the audience when
we play, but we are an organized group of friends.

>From all viewpoints, we have a professional (musicianship) band charging
more than most bands who claim to only work in that field, and there is no
appearance of lack of leadership.  Every  single one of us has been playing
our instrument steadily since before our teens (with a good number of those
years as studio session musicians).  One does learn a few things in all
those years.  We've even learned how to stay together, which is no mean
feat!

Jim