[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in The USA - Was Jazz In The UK

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Tue Sep 28 17:55:31 PDT 2004

OK,

so here is something I don't understand (about this list and/or what we
are all trying to do about the state of OKOM Jazz in the USA and the
rest of the world.)

The musicians and groups I listed before, and one more I forgot to
mention - the Asylum Street Spankers (
http://www.asylumstreetspankers.com ) have been working, recording and
supporting all sorts of traditional jazz music for the last 10 to 15
years. They are mostly under 50 years old, probably grew listening to a
combination of rock, swing, jazz and other pop music, have a wide
audience of dancers and listeners, have sold thousands of recordings,
play in all kinds of clubs and music halls (where they charge "real"
admission prices,) are snappy dressers ( I don't see to many Mowhawk
haircuts or safety-pins around,) are totally respectful (and dedicated
to) the traditions, culture and music of the 20s thru early 50s...

So why do we treat them like they have some sort of disease? Lack of
Banjos and Tubas?  Too Loud? Too many matching suits?

They have access our prime future audience. If we really expect to
continue the traditions of OKOM into the 21st Century we need to work
with them, not against (or ignore) them.

Visit their websites, listen to (or buy) their recordings - even see
them if the come to your town. If you are someone putting together a
festival, check into the possibility of booking one of these "new"
groups - you might be surprised by the results (or it may be a total
flop if you don't expand your market/advertising.)  Just because it was
a fad a few years ago does not mean they are not totally skilled and
enjoyable musicians. I was surprised to see so many "Trad Police" at a
sold-out performance by the Asylum Street Spankers a few years ago in
San Jose - they unbuttoned their stiff collars and had a great time!

(don't shoot me ;-)

Dave Richoux