[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in The USA - Was Jazz In The UK

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue Sep 28 13:01:15 PDT 2004

At 10:46 AM 9/28/2004 -0700, David Richoux wrote:
>I would add the "Retro-Swing" bands like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
>http://www.bbvd.com/ and
>Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skillet Likkers  http://www.lavaysmith.com/
>that survived the 1990's fad and have proven themselves with large
>crowds of all ages, many hit recordings and very favorable press
>reviews. While this is not  exactly "Trad Jazz," the bands have
>captured many elements of the 20's, 30's and 40's jazz/swing eras,
>along with rock & roll, Rockabilly, R&B or even Burlesque Show bands
>and made something new out of them.
>
>others in this category that I like (some more than others) :
>Cherry Poppin' Daddies   http://www.daddies.com/

The Last I knew this band had one CD of "Swing"--it was a punk band or
something like that; the band liked classic swing, wrote their own stuff
and included a couple of swing tracks on their albums, then compiled those
tracks on one swing CD. Really PO'd the swing dancers, who went to their
shows erroneously. The trumpet player clearly has listened to a l-o-t of
classic swing...

>Brian Setzer  http://www.briansetzer.com/

Rockabilly guitar with 12-piece big band.

>New Morty Show  http://www.newmortyshow.com/
>Squirrel Nut Zippers   http://www.snzippers.com/

SNZ played 2-beat sort of 20s novelty style, wrote their own stuff. Their
3rd album, "Perennial favorites" was very much in a classic okom mode, and
very well done. The 4th CD was totally different--bad contemporary-beat BS.