[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in The USA - Was Jazz In The UK

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Tue Sep 28 10:46:18 PDT 2004

I would add the "Retro-Swing" bands like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
http://www.bbvd.com/ and
Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skillet Likkers  http://www.lavaysmith.com/
that survived the 1990's fad and have proven themselves with large
crowds of all ages, many hit recordings and very favorable press
reviews. While this is not  exactly "Trad Jazz," the bands have
captured many elements of the 20's, 30's and 40's jazz/swing eras,
along with rock & roll, Rockabilly, R&B or even Burlesque Show bands
and made something new out of them.

others in this category that I like (some more than others) :
Cherry Poppin' Daddies   http://www.daddies.com/
Brian Setzer  http://www.briansetzer.com/
New Morty Show  http://www.newmortyshow.com/
Squirrel Nut Zippers   http://www.snzippers.com/
Swing Session (aka Stumpy Jones)  http://www.stompyjones.com/
Royal Crown Review   http://www.rcr.com/
Steve Lucky & the Rhumba Bums  http://www.luckylounge.com/
Lily Wilde  http://www.lilywilde.com/
Indigo Swing
Matt Darriau's  "Ballin' the Jack"

Have ANY of these bands ever played for any Traditional Jazz Society
event (other than maybe Sacramento Jazz Jubilee?) I don't recall seeing
anything in the last 10 years or so...

Dave Richoux