[Dixielandjazz] The Price of Art

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 27 10:19:07 PDT 2004

David Richoux <tubaman at batnet.com> wrote (polite snip)

> The San Jose CA Museum of  Art went to an "everybody gets in free all
> the time" mode a few years ago and attendance is WAY up. They do have
> rare nights for special events that require a fee, but in general, I
> think they decided it was more important to have people actually come
> in and look than to make "tons of money." There are still memberships
> and big donor/supporters but the directors have also taken a much more
> progressive stance on the themes and artists they show.

MOMA in NYC does have a free admission time every week. I believe it is
Friday afternoons from about 4 PM. So they do encourage those who cannot
afford the $20 regular admission fee.

Of course, they operate near capacity almost all the time so there is not
much to gain, for the museum or the public by making it free all the time.

Museums like Getty are still free all the time, however they have an
enormous endowment. Norton Simon in Pasadena charges a nominal fee I
believe, but considering what is there, it too is a bargain.

However, IMO as a general rule, art should be self supporting. To me, that
is the progressive way to operate. Freebies, for the most part (again IMO)
not appreciated near as much as something one pays to see/hear/do. A mix of
donors and admission can work fine. Considering the broad range of excellent
art that is presented at MOMA, $20 is a rare bargain. Especially since the
great unwashed have no problem spending $80 per game for a pro football, or
pro hockey ticket etc.

In the absence of a huge endowment, or enormous donor support, how can a
museum afford to showcase the works of the art masters? The money has to
come from somewhere.

Shouldn't it be the same with jazz? Point being that in the world of
entertainment, most of us are giving OKOM away, rather than seeking ways to
energize it, promote it and make it pay.

"Art for Art's Sake", is just so many words. Do any of us really believe
them? If so, why do we so vigorously trash the "art" we don't personally
like, and/or approve of? :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone