[Dixielandjazz] The Price of Art

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Mon Sep 27 11:00:32 PDT 2004

The St Louis Art museum is one of the few that has seven day per week free admission.  However they do have special touring exhibits that charge a small fee.  The Muny Opera also has free seats (get there early).  The St. Louis Zoo is also free, except for some special exhibits and shows.  At one time the shows were free too.  The land of Forest Park was donated with the provision that the Arts and Zoo would always be free to the public.

If it weren't for the free seats I would have never seen a musical stage show as a young person nor would I have ever seen a painting, mummy or Greek vase or went to the zoo.  My parents just didn't have the money for that sort of thing.  My brother who was older than I  would take me to the Zoo, Art Museum or Jefferson Memorial (now the history museum) and we would make a day out of it ending up in the free seats at the muny.

Cities that don't spend money on the arts are truly poor.