[Dixielandjazz] FH5, More on Disney

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri Sep 24 23:20:17 PDT 2004

Listmates,

In a previous post, I mentioned how I first met FH5P2 pianist Frank Thomas.
I mentioned that there was another character who hung around the noontime
jam sessions at Disney Studios.  I couldn't remember his name.  I wrote to
Roy Brewer who
refreshed my memory.

His name was Candy Candido.  He was with Jimmy Durante on his TV or radio
shows for
seven
or eight years.  He was so comedic, they moved him up from the back to the
front line as a regular feature.  He was the one who made famous the
expression:
"I'm feelin' mighty low" and his voice would drop down an octave or so when
he said "mighty low."

He actually started out as a trombone player and always got a kick out of
listening  to us play.

We played his 50th wedding anniversary.

He was with another popular orchestra, Ted Fiorito (or however you spell it)
in the 30's.   He also did a parody
on "As Time Goes By"
During the bridge he indicated he came home and his wife  took off her hair
and put
it in a drawer.  Took off her eyelashes and put them in a drawer.  She took
off some
falsies and put them in the drawer.  After mentioning a few more things he
said:
I didn't know whether I should get into bed - or get in the drawer!!   I
think he
got that from Durante.

Candy was used for that low deep voice, which he was able to articulate with
good clarity, on quite a few Disney animated characters.  Usually the
villain type.

--Bob
robert at ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band